This blog series was prepared by Jewelle Edwards, who joined the staff at PELC through their youth employment training program, INSPIRE.
In this blog series, we have looked at a few of the ways that living on a low income affects mental health and physical health. If you have lived on a low income, you can probably think of a few ways that your education has been affected!
Let’s talk about it!
A Good School Experience
What are some examples of a good experience at school?
- You like going to school most of the time
- Teachers or other people can help you with your work
- You feel interested in a lot of what you are learning
- You feel like you belong at your school
- Learning in school helps you think about the future
- You can be involved by:
- Asking or answering questions
- Working together with classmates
- Joining after school activities
Not everyone has a good experience in school. There can be many reasons why. You might be missing some important things that you need to have a good school experience.
What can help students have a good experience in school?
- Having a space to do school work without a lot of distractions like loud noises
- Writing notes to remind you what the teacher said
- Sleep – this helps with focusing on your work and remembering what you learned
- Studying – this is important when we get ready for quizzes or tests
- Asking questions – if you don’t understand what the teacher said or didn’t hear everything, asking questions helps you get the information you need
Leave a Reply